Stepping Stone Goals and Outcomes:
The goal of Stepping Stone is to improve the livelihoods of learners and entrepreneurs in developing communities by use of mobile-based educational curricula and relevant training modules.
- Learners will increase their literacy levels: reading speed, fluency and comprehension.
- Entrepreneurs will increase their productivity, market knowledge and IGA (income generating activity) revenues.
Stepping Stone will be expanded further in 2014. EDC will establish operations in a pilot country location to test the Stepping Stone model as well as establish a base of operations for future mobile services as a social enterprise.
In January/February 2014, initial discussions will be held with potential government, commercial and NGO partners to utilize Stepping Stone for learners and entrepreneurs in Ghana. EDC has selected Ghana to conduct research for the next phase of Stepping Stone development as an enterprise. Ghana is a country of interest to EDC due to the high percentage of its population who are mobile subscribers, indicating a potentially strong consumer base for mobile products and services.
The research conducted in Ghana for Stepping Stone will focus on:
Strong adherence to mobile user trends with market research
- What mobile devices are available?
- What mobile content do people want to have?
- How much are people willing to pay for devices and content?
Identification and association of key stakeholders to form local ecosystems:
- Local NGOs
- Telecom Operators
Mobile technology analysis
- Determination of locally available devices, price points, models, and purchasing power of users.